Healthcare workers put their bodies, especially their feet through a lot. Spending long hours on their feet dealing with spills and other messes, it's important for them to have shoes that can handle the demands of the job. So, what are the best shoe brands for healthcare workers, and why are good shoes important?
What to Consider
When it comes to finding the best shoes, there are a few things to think about:
- Comfort: Shoes must be comfortable and provide ample support. Long shifts in less than ideal shoes can lead to back pain, chronic foot pain, as well as joint pain.
- Versatility: They should be versatile enough to handle a variety of tasks. Healthcare workers need to be adaptable and may need to walk long distances, run to catch a patient, or jump out of the way of a moving stretcher.
- Durability: Your choice should be easy to clean and resistant to spills and other messes. Shoes should be durable and last for extended periods of wear.
- Fit: No matter what type of shoes you choose, it's important to make sure they fit well. Shoes that are too tight or too loose can lead to discomfort and other problems. Some nurses recommend sizing up a half size since after a long 12 hours shift your feet can swell.
- Break Them In: It's also a good idea to break in new shoes slowly, so that your feet have time to get used to them.
Types of Shoes
Clogs are a popular choice for healthcare workers. They're comfortable, easy to clean, and provide good support. Slip-ons are also a good option. As the name implies, they're easy to put on and take off which can be important at the end of a long day. Athletic shoes or sneakers are good for workers who need to move quickly.
- Dansko: Dansko Clogs are a tried-and-true favorite shoe in the nursing world. They are made with comfort-focused materials and supportive features to help reduce pressure points when you're working on your feet all day. They are durable and easy to clean and comply with most hospital dress codes.
- Nike Air Zoom Pulse Shoes: The Nike Air Zoom Pulse Shoes were made for people who spend long hours on their feet. They are durable, water-resistant, and easy to clean. The rubber outsole allows for natural foot flexion and traction on both wet and dry surfaces. These slip-on shoes walk the line between sneaker and clog quite nicely.
- On Running Shoes, Cloudflow: If you are more interested in a sneaker the On Cloudflow may be a perfect fit. On is a running shoe that focuses on a softer landing and they are podiatrist recommended for foot and ankle support. These are sneakers so they may not be as easy to clean, but they are lightweight and breathable.
- Clove: These sneakers are made from water-repellent fabric and designed to withstand industrial strength cleaners. Keeping healthcare professionals in mind, they are engineered to be quiet as well as comfortable. They have strong-grip soles and include high-performance Ortholite inserts for odor control.
- Hunter Original Play Clogs: You wouldn’t think of working all day in a pair of rain boots, but these Hunters are up for the challenge. These full rubber slip-on clogs are ideal for messy jobs. As expected, they are 100% waterproof but they come with a breathable polyester lining that keeps moisture from being trapped inside.
- Oofos: This one is a bit harder to say but they are perfect to slip into. For comfort, they use the brand’s “OOfoam Recovery Technology,” which absorbs over one-third more impact than traditional footwear foam. They also offer increased arch support and are machine washable.
The best shoe brands for healthcare workers are those that can provide comfort and support. Brands like Dansko, Clove, and Oofos are known for their comfortable shoes that can handle the tough demands of a healthcare worker’s day to day.
If you’re a healthcare professional in the market for new shoes, be sure to check out these brands and see which ones work best for you. With the right footwear, you can stay safe and comfortable all day long.