Every April, since 1992, health care professionals have joined forces to increase public awareness about the causes and cures for our nationwide stress epidemic. Studies have shown that 61% of the workforce suffers from chronic stress, leading to over $300 billion in lost productivity and health issues. Today’s health care workers are faced with some of the most stressful situations found in any workplace.
In support of Stress Awareness Month, the following is a collection of the “Least Stressful Cities” in America. If you are one of the millions who feel burdened by feelings of stress and anxiety, you may want to consider taking a travel assignment in one of the following locations:
- Salt Lake City, UT – In addition to having a very low unemployment rate and a favorable cost of living, Salt Lake is home to some of the most beautiful cityscapes you can find anywhere. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains and plenty of greenery, the environment alone can take a few points off of your blood pressure reading. If you are looking for an ideal location to celebrate work-life balance, the fresh mountain air of Salt Lake City may be calling you.
- Rochester, NY – If you are looking for a short commute and affordable living costs, and you don’t mind snowy weather in the winter months, then Rochester, NY may be the perfect place for your next assignment. This upstate NY gem features a variety of cultural opportunities, a great medical community, and outstanding universities.
- Raleigh, NC – The state capital of North Carolina landed at #3 on this Least Stressful list due to its low crime rate, outdoor opportunities and central location. In addition to a low cost of living, Raleigh is situated within short drives to beautiful beaches and mountain getaways.
- Minneapolis, MN – Do you like to relax and fish during your downtime away from work? Do you want to experience the Midwest while still being near to world-class health facilities, like the Mayo Clinic? If so, Minneapolis should be on your short list of assignment locales. Extremely low crime rates and lower unemployment, this fast growing region still features stress-free living.
- Richmond, VA – This historic city, famous in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, has become a destination for those seeking moderate weather and plenty of available jobs. A financial center, Richmond features easy commutes, low cost of living, and a variety of historic museums and art galleries.
Other cities making the list include Buffalo, NY, Hartford, CT, Pittsburgh, PA, San Jose, CA, andSacramento, CA.
Supplemental Health Care also provides you with a work-life balance Employee Assistance Program (EAP), with resources available 24/7 to assist in managing a wide range of personal and work life issues. The EAP program offers you unlimited access to consultants by telephone, online resources and tools, and up to three face-to-face visits with a counselor for assistance with short-term issues. For more information on this great benefit, contact a recruiter today.