Here we are again with a fresh start to another year! If you are like most, you have been thinking about resolutions that can make a difference in your personal or professional life. It is important to set goals, no matter what time of year it is, and having something to aim for is the perfect way to keep yourself focused. As a busy healthcare professional, here are a few ideas for resolutions to give your career a jump start into 2019.
- Assess Your Surroundings: When considering ways to give your career a boost, it is always helpful to determine if it is time for a change. Are you satisfied with the culture of your current work environment? Do the company benefits match the needs of your family? Are their opportunities for growth? It’s never easy to make a big career change, but staying in a place you aren’t happy with is much harder in the long run.
- Try Traveling: Many people resolve to travel more in their personal life. As a healthcare professional, there are thousands of opportunities for nurses, therapists, and other health professionals to travel all across the country – and get paid to do it! If you’ve thought about traveling, there is no better time than the present. To learn more, contact a travel recruitment professional to find out what licensing considerations you may need, where opportunities in your specialty are available, and other information to get started. You can also check out travel blogs or join a Facebook group to learn from seasoned travelers in your field.
- Expand Your Knowledge: One of the best ways to give your career a boost is by learning new skills. For healthcare professionals, earning continuing education credits is not only required, but they can also help you earn more money. Finding an employer that reimburses for CEUs is an added bonus. Another important consideration is the national effort to have 80% of all nurses earn their BSN by 2020.
- Consider Mentoring: Mentoring is often overlooked as a resource for young healthcare professionals. If you are new to the profession, finding someone who can offer you advice and help you make the best decisions can be a career saver.
On the other end of the spectrum, as a seasoned pro, helping newer clinicians by becoming a mentor is a great option.
- Prioritize Your Retirement Account: A smart New Year’s resolution for your financial future is planning for your retirement. Before heading into tax season, consider putting more money into your 401k (or open one if you haven’t already). As part of your benefits package, see if your company matches any part of your 401k contributions. Finding a career partner that helps you save for retirement is a great way to invest in yourself!
If you are resolved to find a career partner to help you achieve your career goals this year, contact one of our recruitment professionals to get started Learn more about available opportunities as well as benefits and perks that work for you. Let us know your New Year’s resolutions in the comments below!